Legal Services

Our services include legal representation in negotiating settlements and litigation in the areas such as Small Claims Court, Landlord & Tenant disputes, Traffic Court,  Provincial Offences, and other areas of law. We are Commissioners of Oaths and offer Notary Public services.


The Small Claims Court is a branch of the Superior Court of Justice and handles nearly half of all civil claims in the province. You may claim a maximum monetary amount of $35,000 and the court provides an efficient and cost-effective forum for Ontarians to bring or defend these claims. Should you have a claim that is greater than $35,000 and you are willing to waive the excess amount, you may consider this court to avoid costly litigation and time.



At Widdrington Legal, we can assist you with claims, such as:


  • breach of contract;
  • goods or services sold and delivered that wasn’t paid for;
  • unpaid loans, unpaid debts; 
  • unpaid residential and commercial rent;
  • NSF (non-sufficient funds) cheques;
  • property damage; and
  • personal injuries


Learn More


The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) was created from the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). This Act outlines the rights and responsibilities for residential landlords and tenants in Ontario to protect both and outlines a process for enforcement.



At Widdrington Legal, we will:


  • Meticulously prepare and serve the applicable notices & responding materials;
  • File all required documents with the LTB;
  • Attend hearings; 
  • Negotiate & mediate with the parties on your behalf to reach a settlement; and
  • Enforce any orders such as pursuing through Small Claims Court to collect monies owed by a tenant ordered through the LTB.


View Resources

Landlord Issues:

Grounds for early Termination: 

  • Non-payment of rent
  • Causing undue damage or/and wilful damage
  • Interfering with the reasonable enjoyment of the complex by the landlord or other tenants. 
  • Impairing the safety of any person
  • Permitting overcrowding contrary to the health, safety, or housing standards required by law. 

No-Fault Grounds for Termination:

  • Personal or Family Use
  • Demolition, Major Repairs, or Renovation
  • Conversion to non-residential Use
  • Persistent Late Payment

Tenant Issues:

  • Illegal rent increases or other charges;
  • Breach of Tenancy Agreement;
  • Breach of Maintenance Obligations;
  • Illegal entry into the unit;
  • Rent Reductions, Rebates, and Abatements; and
  • Damages



The Ontario Court of Justice hears most provincial offence matters in addition to offences against municipal by-laws. The Provincial Offences Act (POA) and the Provincial Offences Rules and Regulations Act 


  • Highway Traffic Act charges such as speeding or other traffic violations;
  • Municipal by-law charges relating to excessive noise, animal control, garbage disposal, etc; and
  • Charges laid under provincial legislation such as the Environmental Protection ActOccupational Health and Safety ActDog Owners’ Liability Act, and the Trespass to Property Act.


Life Belt with Scales of Justice - White Background - 3D Rendering

Let Widdrington Legal throw you a lifeline.


At Widdrington Legal, we ‘level the playing field’ between you and the prosecutor/police  to assist you with: 


  • outlining the complexity of your charge(s) and identifying your options;
  • understanding of the legal process and the issues particular to you, and
  • attend court to limit the risk of a substantial fine, jail time, or other penalties that would have a significant personal impact such as driving demerit points, driver’s licence suspension).


Learn More


Commissioners for taking affidavits (sometimes referred to as commissioners of oaths) take affidavits or declarations by asking you to swear or affirm that what is in a document is true.


notary public has all the powers of a commissioner for taking affidavits and, can verify that signatures, marks, and copies of documents are true or genuine. Notaries help to deter fraud and to ensure the document is properly executed.


Notary Public: Seal embossed on document with pen

Some common documents include:

  • Certifying true copies;
  • Invitation letters (visitor visa);
  • Statutory Declaration, Affidavits of Service;
  • Consent letters for children traveling abroad;
  • Last Will & Testament / Power of Attorney;
  • Police Background Check / fingerprints / RCMP;
  • Transferring ownership of a used vehicle/gifting a used vehicle to a family member;
  • Affidavit of Divorce; and
  • Applying for a municipal licence or an exception to a zoning restriction (also known as a zoning variance)


Helpful Links


Traffic Tickets

What’s your reaction when served with a traffic ticket? “Darn! You got me! How do I pay and be rid of this problem?” “Okay, I know what I did, BUT


What is a paralegal? 

What is a paralegal? In Ontario, a paralegal is professionally trained and regulated to provide legal services in specific areas of law. The services of a paralegal are generally an